What is PDP ECommerce?
In an eCommerce context, a product detail page (PDP) is a web page that provides detailed information about a specific product that is available for purchase on an online store.
The PDP typically includes information such as the product name, price, images, descriptions, and other details that are relevant to the product. It may also include customer reviews, ratings, and other social proof to help potential buyers make an informed purchasing decision.
The PDP is an important part of the ecommerce website user experience, as it provides potential customers with the information they need to decide whether to purchase a product. We will discuss the many elements that make up a perfect product detail page and will leave the product page design to you and your team.
With a basis of understanding about what PDP’s are, why are they important?
Why is a product detail page so important?
- Educate the customer: A PDP should clearly and accurately describe the product, its features, and its benefits, helping the customer to understand what they are buying and why it is a good fit for them.
- Highlight the product’s unique selling points: A PDP should highlight the product’s unique selling points and differentiators, helping to set it apart from similar products on the market.
- Build trust and credibility: A PDP should include customer reviews, ratings, and other social proof to help build trust and credibility with potential buyers.
- Encourage purchase: A PDP should be visually appealing and easy to navigate, helping to create a positive user experience and encourage potential customers to make a purchase.
A well-designed PDP can help to increase conversions and drive sales for an eCommerce business.
What components make up a good ecommerce product detail page?
A good product detail page (PDP) should include the following elements:
- Product title: The first place to start is here. Beyond having a short and descriptive title we suggest you seek SEO keywords related to the product and place them here.
- Product name and image: The product name and image should be prominently displayed and easy to see.
- Product description: The product description should clearly and accurately describe the product, its features, and its benefits. The product information described should incorporate all the questions a customer might have.
- Price: The price should be clearly displayed and easy to find.
- Availability: The availability of the product (e.g., in stock, out of stock, pre-order) should be clearly stated.
- Product specifications: Detailed product specifications (e.g., dimensions, weight, materials, etc.) can be helpful for customers who want to know more about the product. This element has a large impact on the buying decision of your customer.
- Customer reviews: Customer reviews, ratings, and other social proof can help build trust and credibility with potential buyers. Cultivating positive reviews is social proof of your company’s customer service.
- Calls to action: Calls to action (e.g., “Add to cart,” “Buy now,” etc.) should be prominently displayed and easy to find, encouraging potential customers to make a purchase.
- Related products: Suggesting related or complementary products can help to increase the average order value and encourage customers to make additional purchases.
With a PDP that is visually appealing, easy to navigate, and provides customers with the information they need to make an informed purchasing decision, you’ll be sure to win at sales.
Receive marketing tips like these directly in your inbox
PDP Best Practices
Here are some best practices for creating effective product detail pages (PDPs) for eCommerce:
- Use high-quality images: High-quality product images are essential for creating a good PDP. Use clear, well-lit images that showcase the product from multiple angles.
- Write detailed, accurate product descriptions: Product descriptions should be detailed and accurate, providing potential customers with all the information they need to make an informed purchasing decision.
- Include customer reviews and ratings: Customer reviews and ratings can help to build trust and credibility with potential buyers.
- Use clear and concise headings: Use clear and concise headings to organize the information on your PDP and make it easy for customers to find what they are looking for.
- Make calls to action prominent and easy to find: Calls to action (e.g., “Add to cart,” “Buy now,” etc.) should be prominently displayed and easy to find, encouraging potential customers to make a purchase.
- Optimize for mobile devices: More and more people are shopping on their mobile devices, so it’s important to ensure that your PDPs are optimized for mobile viewing.
- Use social media to showcase your products: Use social media platforms like Instagram and Pinterest to showcase your products and drive traffic back to your PDPs.
The goal of a PDP is to provide potential customers with the information they need to make an informed purchasing decision and encourage them to make a purchase. By following these best practices, you can create PDPs that are effective at achieving this goal.
How can you create outstanding product detail pages?
Use AI to create create great PDP ecommerce pages
Artificial intelligence (AI) can be used to improve the design and content of product detail pages (PDPs) in eCommerce in a number of ways:
- Image optimization: AI-powered image optimization tools can help to improve the quality and clarity of product images, making them more appealing to potential customers. Adobe Photoshop makes cleaning up images easier using AI based tools.
- Product description: AI-powered tools like ChatGPT allow you to increase the amount of content on your product page. While it’s not great at providing exact details and useful information you know, it is very good at adding content around keywords associated with your product.
- Product recommendation: AI can be used to recommend related or complementary products to customers based on their browsing and purchase history, helping to increase the average order value and encourage additional purchases. These tools are add-ons provided by your ecommerce platform provider.
- Customer review analysis: AI can be used to analyze customer reviews and ratings to identify common themes and trends, helping businesses to understand what customers like and dislike about their products and make improvements accordingly.
- Product classification: AI can be used to classify and categorize products, making it easier for customers to find the products they are looking for.
Ways You Can Implement PDP Ecommerce at Your Company
The solutions above will get you on your way to creating really great product description pages. If you have a new website then using the ideas given is an easy process you can put into a checklist. But what if you already have a running site with products?
Implementing PDP on Existing Ecommerce Sites
Do It Yourself
First, we recommend you get started immediately. Even if that means optimizing one listing per day at least you will begin making progress on improving your product detail pages. You can take a few pages at first, create a checklist and then implement more pages per week and day so you’re able to move through the updates of your entire site swiftly.
A good plan would be creating an SOP yourself or having a company expert implement the initial round of changes, making notes. Then, once the process is tight, hand it off to another team member that’s less skilled but competent in completing tasks.
Hire Someone To Do It For You
The reality might be that you don’t have the time to work on the initial pages or you might not have someone on your team to hand off this task to. In that case, you should consider hiring an ecommerce agency to write your PDP content.
Often the concern is that an agency doesn’t have the product knowledge you and your team have, and that’s true. However, with your guidance it’s possible to bring on professionals that can write the content quickly, properly and concisely using the recommendations above.
Save Time and Money
Most of our clients seek us out because they don’t have the time to do the important work we do properly. Our team of experts can get the important marketing projects you have, like updating or creating your PDP ecommerce content so you can focus on the important things you do.
Would you like to create your pdp ecommerce content?
The team at Win at Ecommerce would love the opportunity to talk with you. We can give you a free evaluation of your technology and help your business win.